What is an MPO?
Metropolitan Planning Organizations are part of a federal process to conduct local transportation planning in urbanized areas. The federal government requires urbanized areas to establish a planning process that is Comprehensive, Continuing, and Cooperative (the three C's of transportation planning). The MPO process is required in urbanized areas over 50,000 in population in order to receive federal funding for transportation.

The MPO process is a partnership between local and state government to make decisions about transportation planning in urbanized areas and to meet planning requirements established by federal authorizing legislation for transportation funding. For more information, view the organizational structure or the transportation planning process of the MPO.

What are the major functions of an MPO?
MPOs conduct transportation planning in cooperation with the state and federal governments. Cooperatively, the MPO works with the North Carolina Department Of Transportation (NCDOT) and the Federal Highway and Federal Transit Administrations (FHWA and FTA) to develop transportation plans, travel models, thoroughfare plans, transit plans, bicycle and pedestrian plans. Also, the MPO works with the state on funding issues for transportation improvements, on project planning issues, and on issues such as environmental impacts and air quality. The MPO also works with local governments to coordinate land use and transportation planning.

How are MPOs established?
MPOs are established in every urbanized area in the country with a population of over 50,000. Urbanized areas are defined every ten years by the U.S. Census. In North Carolina MPOs are designated by the Governor. MPOs are established by a Memorandum of Understanding that is signed by all participating local governments and by the State of North Carolina.

Who makes decisions for the MPO?
All decisions of the MPO are made by the Transportation Policy Board (TPB) with recommendations from the Technical Coordinating Committee (TCC) and the Citizen Advisory Committee (CAC). The current list of members for each organization can be viewed here, and the organizational chart can be viewed here. The membership and voting structures of these committees are established through a Memorandum of Understanding between all of the participating governments.

TPB – The policy-making body made up of elected officials from each of the member governments, and the Board of Transportation.

TCC – Staff level committee that provides recommendations to the TPB regarding transportation decisions.

CAC - Committee comprised of citizens and stakeholders that provides recommendations to the TPB.

Where can I find more demographic information about the area?
We at FAMPO have completed the Population & Economic Study for the entire urbanized area, and all of Cumberland County. In addition, you may visit the U.S. Census Bureau for more information that has been released from the 2010 Census.

Where can I locate more information regarding the proposed outer loop?
If you are concerned that the proposed Outer Loop Corridor will affect you or your property, please visit the second floor of the Historic Courthouse located downtown (130 Gillespie Street) and ask for Greg Shermeto or call (910) 678-7615. We have public hearing maps located in our office, or you can also view maps on Exponare to determine whether or not your property is in or near the corridor.

I am looking into buying a new home. How can I find out if there is road construction planned for my street?
When considering a new home, your real estate agent is obligated to disclose to you any active road projects that the agent either "knows, or should know." To obtain this information, you can contact anyone on the FAMPO Staff to receive more information regarding the Highway Plan and the current Transportation Improvement Program. In addition, you can check Exponare to view current road construction projects at or near your new home.

How do I change the name of my street?
To change a street name, or create a new street name, you need to come to the Addressing/Street Naming section of the planning department. You will have to fill out a request for the new street name, and the desired street name will need to be approved. No two streets in the county can be redundant or too similar. All property owners along the street will have to approve of the change for it to take place, even if it is a private drive and only one owner is involved. Not all requests will be acceptable or approved. For more information, please call (910) 678-7665 and request the street naming/addressing section, and someone will be able to assist you.